Fail
In an exhibition, the number of women to men is 6:5. After some time, from the existing crowd, 29 men left. 15 women also joined in the existing crowd. As such, the ratio of women to men became 4:1. How many women were there in the exhibition in the beginning?
I got stunned at this question.
I was teaching Greg's primary school cousin today and for once, I felt really stupid. Stupid because I couldn't do a primary school question using a primary school method. The only way I could do it is to utilize algebra.
For one, I never understood how the model method could help you. Sure it can if the problem is simple enuf like there were 40 children, and the ratio of boys to girls is 3:1. But using something rudimentary to solve something rather complicated is like burning a candle instead of switching the lights on when the room is dark.
But something which I stand firmly on, is that the simpler something is, the harder it is to teach. Sometimes, the fault doesn't lie with the recipient of the knowledge, but with the giver, having to lower your standards and thought processes in order to attune yourself to the same frequency of the recipient.
I wonder whether it is right to teach algebra early on instead of relying on the concept of models. What are the advantages and repercussions of such a curriculum change? Beats me.
It's alarming the rate at which people from China are weaving through the ranks of our society. I heard that a large proportion of them are running for student council at Temasek JC. Even now in the primary schools, Greg's cousin was telling me he has a classmate who is 14 years old and is his classmate at pri 6. I hear of curious cases springing up in the banks, who think they are prima dona traders and superiors.
I'm really not sure if there's something wrong. I can't seem to point a finger at it. And even if I could, there are a barrage of reasons acting as a counterpoint to that flaw.
I fear stepping into a class in future where there's one true blue Singaporean in a sea of mixed mashups.
That aside. Time to get fit for Europe. wheeeeee
I got stunned at this question.
I was teaching Greg's primary school cousin today and for once, I felt really stupid. Stupid because I couldn't do a primary school question using a primary school method. The only way I could do it is to utilize algebra.
For one, I never understood how the model method could help you. Sure it can if the problem is simple enuf like there were 40 children, and the ratio of boys to girls is 3:1. But using something rudimentary to solve something rather complicated is like burning a candle instead of switching the lights on when the room is dark.
But something which I stand firmly on, is that the simpler something is, the harder it is to teach. Sometimes, the fault doesn't lie with the recipient of the knowledge, but with the giver, having to lower your standards and thought processes in order to attune yourself to the same frequency of the recipient.
I wonder whether it is right to teach algebra early on instead of relying on the concept of models. What are the advantages and repercussions of such a curriculum change? Beats me.
It's alarming the rate at which people from China are weaving through the ranks of our society. I heard that a large proportion of them are running for student council at Temasek JC. Even now in the primary schools, Greg's cousin was telling me he has a classmate who is 14 years old and is his classmate at pri 6. I hear of curious cases springing up in the banks, who think they are prima dona traders and superiors.
I'm really not sure if there's something wrong. I can't seem to point a finger at it. And even if I could, there are a barrage of reasons acting as a counterpoint to that flaw.
I fear stepping into a class in future where there's one true blue Singaporean in a sea of mixed mashups.
That aside. Time to get fit for Europe. wheeeeee
