Muddled Mustafic Melancholic Masculine Majestic Mathematical Monkey

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Week Three Part 1

There's this Maths undergraduate Olympiad in the whole of America and Canada called the Putnam. Well you're competing against people from 500 universities, with heavyweights from Berkeley, Yale, Cornell, Ivy League shit.

Here's the sample paper

Thing is. The median score is 0 out of 120. Yes no shit. 0. Zero. Kosong. Zilch. Nil. And apparently, a Harvard Maths Professor got zero for it too.

So in an attempt to prove a point, I shall try the paper and attend the practice sessions (hey hell, there's free pizza and pop), and attempt to score a single digit score (other than zero), so that in all eventuality I know, I'm smarter than a Harvard Maths Professor. Well, even if I get a zero, I've achieved parity with a Harvard Maths Professor. LOL.

Errr, well, if I'm in the top 100, my lecturer said that you're as good as king anywhere. haha. Cool. So... errr... try a bit la ah? hahaha. maybe i can get into Harvard or MIT with this. LOL.

Damn Astronomy's pretty interesting. Polaris, the North Star right? Suppose you see it during the night, it's actually 430 light years away. So... the light from Polaris actually left in like.... 1478 A.D, just to reach your eye on that very starry night. Ok. I sound bimbotic.

crazy right. come UBC to become a mathematical rubbernecker. more pictures on Butchart gardens next.