Muddled Mustafic Melancholic Masculine Majestic Mathematical Monkey

Sunday, July 22, 2007

too much maths

No joke. 6 hours of tuition today.
H1 Maths J1 --> Differentiation, Integration
H2 Maths J1 --> NJC Integration (which of course, is a pain in the ass to teach, and the questions from NJ are horrendously difficult)
H2 Maths J2 --> Linear Regression and Complex Numbers

Managed to understand Regression in 2 hours with the notes. I even proved it to her why it works. Wahahaha. I should consider ST1131 man.

Well, so the 3 cheques that I'm collecting soon, which will be abt approx $1K, will all go to my Hongkong expenses. I plan to spend a bomb there.

Ok. I cannot play tennis. I hit 3 balls into some crappy grass patch which could never be found. The other 3/4 of the time, I hit balls straight into the net. Even Mich could hit better than me.

Sometimes, I get this very sad feeling that maybe our ministers might be trapped in an ivory tower, failing to see what goes on underneath. To say that the percentage cap of foreigners in our universities is of an acceptable number is certainly right. But failing to say that there's an existence of a balanced proportion within different faculties really irks me.

Come on. Take a look in PGP or Science/Engine Fac for that matter. I couldn't concur more with Gordon. A simple check with a typical Maths module namelist shows a percentage of 25%, with 10% or more consisting of dual syllable names, staring right back to you through the computer screen. So in a bid to separate the better lot of students from the normal students which I frankly must say, the former potentially being the foreigners who might probably have a headstart in their mathematical foundations, lecturers set insane exams that destroy most Singaporeans on a whole, with only a few standing to breathe and savour the occasional As, A-s and B+s. (Er, my A+ for Complex is a fluke. LP showed the complete disparity in standard)

I think trying to envy and emulate them is not exactly a good choice. Sure we Singaporeans might complain, but there's more to life than just plain academic fodder. It's the idea of seeking a holistic balance, a balance of work and play, which I just think some of these foreigners just plain lack. Yet it's sad to see that this people are the ones who actually deprive our locals of the much needed tertiary education that they need. And so instead, parents spend a financial bomb sending their children to private institutions such as SIM, Insead, UNSW (which sadly flopped), Monash, Stansfield, e.t.c, only to see these people enjoying Singapore government scholarships, some bond free, taking the crucial places needed by our locals to survive.

Either that, or the government is indirectly forcing us to buck up with the crowd, because it's either pull up your socks, or get left behind. And in the wake of the emerging China and Indian markets, the rising influx of these migrants are just impending.

I'm not absolutely sure if there's any avenue of discourse to air our grievances with regards to this, but even if there was, I wouldn't be surprised if it fell on deaf ears.

1) I think the bell curve system is ridiculous. If renowned universities such as LSE, Chicago, Columbia, Imperial, Berkeley can adopt a simple "meet the mark and get your grade" kind of scoring system, I don't see why NUS, supposedly being ranked 22nd, can't follow suit.

2) Omg. Please get Professors who can speak fluent English. And who can TEACH.

3) Transparency. Provide answers to the exams. Show our test scores. So we know WHAT WENT WRONG. We're just simply holding your word for our grades. What's one professor's word against 100 other students?

Well, let's see how UBC works. For starters, I don't see a single PRC maths professor........... yet.