Google Theory
Try googling your name at google.com.
Or just enter your name into the blogspot's search engine. You'll be surprised at the entries you can find, relating to yourself, or to your friends who are connected to you.
In the wake of the ever improving technology, the world is indeed getting flat. So flat that you most probably can get some kind of information or picture of a person who's connected to the Internet. Physical space is slowly being replaced by technological transient space. You can physically hide behind a wall, just as how you can digitally hide behind a firewall. But slowly, firewalls are starting to prove redundant just as how privacy and subterfuge is losing its existence and meaning.
So here comes Google Theory, where I postulate that in 10 years time, anyone of us can be googled on the Internet. There's no escape. Google will enroach into every space of our digital life. We've seen Google with Blogspot. Google with YouTube. Google Earth. What's next? Google Friendster? Google EBay? Google Wikipedia? Google OS?
Well, take myself for instance. I found out after Googling that
1) I'm an NUS Applied Maths Major going on SEP at UBC come AY2007/2008
2) I'm in NUS Cuesports, with my handphone and email displayed in all its mighty glory
3) I'm on Zhongwen's blog, which is practically defunct
4) I took part in Pool Fest 2006 and got my arse whooped
5) I'm from RJC, and I'm awarded the MOE Teaching Award
See if this kind of information, the next time someone plans a meeting with me, there's a high chance he or she would already know like 1/4 of my background. The problem is further exacerbated when you have a unique name like mine.
It'll only be a matter of time before each and everyone of us will be Googable. Well, even the root world google is now an official word. Go check www.dictionary.com if you don't believe.
"He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666." - Revelation 13:(16-18)
As ambiguous as the mark may sound in this context, to some extent, aren't we all getting marked on the Net? And it is through this mark that associates us with connectivity, convenience and accessibility to knowledge on the Internet. Without this mark, without this association, we will be alienated and we will get nowhere. Hey, only a matter of time before we get chips embedded into our skin or barcodes genetically imprinted into our skin. The Bible is a wonder sometimes.
But in any case, I'm just spouting random garbage as usual. Well. Happy New Year everyone. God Bless. =)
[itunes]: Sum 41 - Pieces
Or just enter your name into the blogspot's search engine. You'll be surprised at the entries you can find, relating to yourself, or to your friends who are connected to you.
In the wake of the ever improving technology, the world is indeed getting flat. So flat that you most probably can get some kind of information or picture of a person who's connected to the Internet. Physical space is slowly being replaced by technological transient space. You can physically hide behind a wall, just as how you can digitally hide behind a firewall. But slowly, firewalls are starting to prove redundant just as how privacy and subterfuge is losing its existence and meaning.
So here comes Google Theory, where I postulate that in 10 years time, anyone of us can be googled on the Internet. There's no escape. Google will enroach into every space of our digital life. We've seen Google with Blogspot. Google with YouTube. Google Earth. What's next? Google Friendster? Google EBay? Google Wikipedia? Google OS?
Well, take myself for instance. I found out after Googling that
1) I'm an NUS Applied Maths Major going on SEP at UBC come AY2007/2008
2) I'm in NUS Cuesports, with my handphone and email displayed in all its mighty glory
3) I'm on Zhongwen's blog, which is practically defunct
4) I took part in Pool Fest 2006 and got my arse whooped
5) I'm from RJC, and I'm awarded the MOE Teaching Award
See if this kind of information, the next time someone plans a meeting with me, there's a high chance he or she would already know like 1/4 of my background. The problem is further exacerbated when you have a unique name like mine.
It'll only be a matter of time before each and everyone of us will be Googable. Well, even the root world google is now an official word. Go check www.dictionary.com if you don't believe.
"He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666." - Revelation 13:(16-18)
As ambiguous as the mark may sound in this context, to some extent, aren't we all getting marked on the Net? And it is through this mark that associates us with connectivity, convenience and accessibility to knowledge on the Internet. Without this mark, without this association, we will be alienated and we will get nowhere. Hey, only a matter of time before we get chips embedded into our skin or barcodes genetically imprinted into our skin. The Bible is a wonder sometimes.
But in any case, I'm just spouting random garbage as usual. Well. Happy New Year everyone. God Bless. =)
[itunes]: Sum 41 - Pieces
