Muddled Mustafic Melancholic Masculine Majestic Mathematical Monkey

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Week 9 Day 3

Overdue photos from the Museum of Anthropology which is like a 5 minute walk from where I stay.

some sinister looking fat dog. but it's quite amazing considering that the natives carved it out by hand

shrug. dunnoe how to appreciate.

golem. wood golem. reminds me of heroes 2 or heroes 3. cheap and easy to die.

boo. masks. quite freaky man. not sure why they would wear this.

hmmm did V pass by here? looks pretty worn out. remember remember the fifth of november. coming soon leh.

yeah this figure is on the 20 dollar canadian note

but well the highlight of the trip was the ceremics portion. i spent about 1.5 hours in that small room drooling over the artefacts.

ceremic figurines. glitters in the light.

O.o. Adam and Eve, eating from the tree of knowledge. Oh for starters, all these stuff were created between the 15th and 16th Century. Yeah the serpent's slithering on the tree.

Hmmm if all these were made like 400 years ago, and they still look so good...., wow i can't imagine the people back then, how skilled they were.


Ceremic stove. I'm surprised they used this as an oven last time.












Hmm. Looks like the jack from the poker cards.

Wah the ceramic pieces are absolutely brilliant. I would like to own some of them in future man if possible.

Ok. After today's complex lecture, I remembered Mich's theory of knowledge.

There are four kinds of viewpoints from which you know or don't know something.

You know what you know
You know what you don't know
You don't know what you know
You don't know what you don't know.

Today's complex lecture was horrendous. a simple integration of the following function

int (1/sqrt(x(1-x))) dx from 0 to 1

involved the following
1) Residue Theorem for Exterior Domains
2) Residue Theorem at Infinity
3) Analytic Continuation
4) Funny branch cuts taken along many Logz
5) Define gamma epilson, phi epilson and using ML inequality to shrink certain integrations along certain paths to 0 as e --> 0. It's like you're not exploding radius to infinity. you're shrinking the contour to 0. zzzzzzzz. the absolute reverse.

So I concluded the following.
I
know what I don't know.
And bloody honestly, I
don't know what I don't know.

Hhahaha. It's damn cock lo. And it doesn't help when the NUS Advanced Complex Lecture is so freaking different from the one I'm taking in UBC.
But never mind la. SEP mentality should be able to take me through. I hope?

I like complex numbers, but the lecture material has been so distasteful, it's like eating ben and jerry's mixed with paracetemol, cough mixture and mucus mixed with vegetables.

But ironically enough, I think abstract algebra is quite fun. And it all makes sense when you use abstract algebra to explain linear algebra.

Ok the post so far has been a whole bunch of mathematical jargon. So too bad if you don't understand. hahaha.


Anyway, I think denzel washington and tom hank movies are fantastic. I'm watching Cast Away now. Can't wait for American Gangster to come out.